Schedule 1 of the Licencing Act 2003, sets out what activities are to be treated as regulated entertainment under the act.  Regulated entertainment is that for which a premises licence or other authority under the licencing act is required before it can lawfully take place. There are eight main descriptions of regulated entertainment as follows:

  1. the performance of a play
  2. an exhibition of a film
  3. an indoor sporting event
  4. a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  5. a performance of live music
  6. any playing of recorded music
  7. a performance of dance
  8. entertainment of a similar description falling into that within paragraphs e, f or g above.

On the face of it, if you are wishing to host or operate any of the above activities, there is a good chance that you will require a Premises licence or be required to give a Temporary Events Notice.  There are however a large number of exceptions to take into account and you should take advice before holding an event or making an application to the local authority.  The rules are complex and the numbers and types of exceptions to those rules are numerous.  Important factors tend to be the size of the audience you anticipate and the time you intend to hold the entertainment. If you already have a Premises Licence which permits the supply of alcohol, then you may already be authorised to play live music but that will depend on when the performance is due to take pace and the size of the audience expected.  In the case of films for example, much will depend on the type of film being shown and the type of premises it is being shown from.  The exceptions in the schedule to the act are detailed and sometimes unexpected, ‘wrestling entertainment’ for example does not include all types of wrestling.  The act makes specific mention of Morris dancing and there are even special exceptions for garden fetes!

It is a criminal offence under section 136 of the Licencing Act 2003 to carry on any licensable activity, such as regulated entertainment other than in accordance with a Premises Licence or other authorisation under the 2003 Act. Commission of the offence is punishable by an unlimited fine.

How we can help with Licensing Issues

We have the expertise to guide you through all of the detail and get your event up and running with the minimal amount of fuss. We can tell you quickly whether or not you need to make an application to the local authority and how to go about that application if need be.   If you do need to make an application, we can tell you how to enhance its chances of success, how long it will take to be processed and how much it will all cost.

Recent Licensing cases

Asked to advise a theatre production company on obtaining a theatre licence for an unusual and listed venue in north London.

Advised on and obtained a time-barred licence to enable a boxing match to take place at Oxford Ice Rink.

What our clients say

“We applied for a premises licence using TV Edwards. The process was very straightforward: Julian explained the process, asked some questions and his staff basically did the rest. Everyone I dealt with was professional and pleasant. Should a need arise, I would definitely use them again.”Samir El-Hibri, co-owner – Vanilla Bean Cafe

Our Licensing Fees

Fees Our Licensing fees vary depending on the complexity of each case.  Every case is different.  Some applications will be very straightforward whist others might be extremely complex. Factors will include whether the licence sought is for a premises in a cumulative impact zone, whether the application deviates from local authority policies, whether local objections are anticipated and how novel or unusual the application is. Further information on our Licensing fees can be found here.

Contact Us

020 3440 8000||Our Offices

020 3440 8000
Our Offices
Contact Us