Once a relationship has broken down, one parent may want to relocate within the UK or to another country and take their children with them.

Agreeing where children can live and stay

The living arrangements for children is a significant consideration when parents separate. Aside from the emotional aspects, the family home will often be one of the largest assets in the negotiation of a financial settlement after a divorce.

In England and Wales children cannot be moved from their country of residence without the consent of everyone who holds parental responsibility for them, or the court’s permission. This includes where the move is to Scotland or Northern Ireland.

If you cannot reach an agreement amicably over the children’s living arrangements, we will advise you on family mediation and how best to prepare for this. If there is no resolution following mediation, we can advise and represent you during court proceedings. In most circumstances, it will be necessary for you to attend mediation before court proceedings can be issued.

Our team of family solicitors are experts in representing parents and children in relocation cases. It needn’t necessarily be about an overseas relocation; we also advise in situations where one parent wants to move away but without going abroad.

Our advice is clear and independent, and based on many years’ experience of children, families, and the law. If you are dealing with a difficult issue to do with divorce, children, or any other family situation and need specialist family solicitors to advise you, we are here to help.

Funding your case

Where Legal Aid is not available we can quote you a competitive price for our work. Click here to find out more.

Contact Us

020 3440 8000|enquiries@tvedwards.com|Our Offices

020 3440 8000
Our Offices
Contact Us