A special guardianship order provides for a child to live with a certain person or certain people. Often close relatives, such as Grandparents or Aunts and Uncles.

A special guardianship order has parental responsibility for the child. That doesn’t mean that someone else who already has parental responsibility will lose it, but it does allow the special guardian to exercise parental responsibility without having to consult with parents.

Family members and foster carers may want to think about special guardianship as an option for a child’s long-term care, when there are concerns about the quality of care they are receiving from their parents. It can be a good alternative to adoption, especially for older children who may still want to see their parents or keep in touch indirectly.

Many of our solicitors are members of the Law Society’s Children Panel and offer a wealth of experience to support you. In all our work we adopt a child centred view and try to ensure the best possible outcome for children and young people involved.

We can advise you on special guardianship, and what it would mean for you and your family.

Funding your case

Where Legal Aid is not available we can quote you a competitive price for our work. Click here to find out more.

Contact Us

020 3440 8000|enquiries@tvedwards.com|Our Offices

020 3440 8000
Our Offices
Contact Us