“The reason I enjoy much success in litigation over the years is because I fight my client’s corner robustly, have a winning mentality and enjoy the strategic thinking and problem-solving side of it.”
The reason I enjoy much success in litigation over the years is because I fight my client’s corner robustly, have a winning mentality and enjoy the strategic thinking and problem-solving side of it. Chess is first and foremost a game of logic and skill, and litigation can be thought of in the same way. I believe litigation is more akin to the strategic game of chess, rather than professional jousting, hence why litigating and advocacy is historically referred to as an “art” and not “war”.
I use chess to sharpen my litigation mindset and believe litigating has the following similarities to the game of chess:
- Quite unpredictable – only after adopting a miscalculated approach.
- A game of high stakes and strategy – carefully considering and executing the best strategy is often the difference between winning and losing. You need to always be thinking two steps ahead to try and box in your opponent. Sometimes, small concessions are required to win the overall battle.
- Patience – It enhances your ability to become more resilient under pressure and sustain your levels of patience in the same way that litigating frequently does.
- Practice makes perfect – the more you maneuver your pieces with clarity and precision into the best position, the easier the end game becomes – check mate.
- Team spirit – you have to do the best with the hand you or your client have been dealt: striving for the best possible outcome for them within the permitted rules to become a top player.
- Understand your opponent – by articulately moving your pieces, and anticipating the opponents next move, you soon realise their temperament, understand their weaknesses, and find ways to obtain the upper hand and avoid a stalemate situation.
- The winner takes it all – like litigation, with chess, there are two players with a common aim of trying to win. It requires competitive instincts and a will to win strong enough to maintain concentration. By executing a clear, effective, and robust game plan you have a much better chance of capturing the king and ultimately winning.
- Cash is king – When playing chess professionally, money often comes into play, so in the same way as litigation, the loser usually pays the winners costs. Knowing the right time to make a particular move is critical to achieving your desired outcome as quickly and cost effectively as possible.
If you are reading this and you have a commercial/property litigation matter ongoing that you are trying to win, please get in touch with Adam using the details below for expert guidance. Remember, in either chess or litigation, there are no points for second place as things are never just black and white!
Dispute Resolution Client Testimonials
“I am a delighted that TV Edwards won my TOLATA claim at trial, achieving an order for sale granted in my favour and an order for 50% of the proceeds of sale. I am also so thankful that they managed to obtain an adverse costs order for £25,000 which is payable by the defendant. Adam and Ina have quite simply been outstanding, they have provided a thorough and professional service throughout and I really appreciate their hard work and communication with me. Their advice and approach to strategies helped me succeed with my claim and I would certainly recommend them to others. Thank you so much!“
“Adam and Ina from the Dispute Resolution team provided a high-quality, professional service while working on my case to negotiate a settlement offer in respect of our dilapidations claim. The team’s knowledge of this area of law and advice on best strategies allowed us to negotiate a settlement sum much lower than what the other side originally requested, avoiding the need for court proceedings. I would highly recommend them for matters of this nature.”
“Peter helped with a property dispute my housemates and I were having, through his professional, quick and thorough help, we got fast result to our issue which we were very happy with. Would recommend!”