Deborah specialises in public law children matters and undertakes her own advocacy in all of her cases. She represents children in a wide variety of public law and adoption cases. She is a specialist in care proceedings including cases concerned with issues of radicalisation; fabricated and induced illness, non-accidental injuries; serious sexual, physical, emotional abuse and neglect. She is also experienced in cases involving contact with children in care, assessment applications, finding of fact hearings, placements abroad and cases with international jurisdiction issues.
Deborah undertakes her own advocacy in all levels of courts and is a Higher Rights Advocate in Civil Law. Deborah is a band 2 lawyer in Chamber and Partners. Deborah is noted in in the current Legal 500 directory as a key lawyer at TV Edwards LLP.
Deborah was the Chair of SAHCA – The Solicitors’ Association of Higher Courts Advocates from 2020-2022 and remains a member of the committee. Deborah was a finalist in the Legal Aid Practitioners’ Group’s family legal aid lawyer of the year for 2022 and 2017. Deborah also sits as a Deputy District Judge.
Area of specialism
- Public law children.
- Re MP (Fact-Finding Hearing: Care Proceedings)  EWHC 2062 (Fam).
- Re MP (Fact-finding Hearing: Care Proceedings: Art 15)  EWHC 2063 (Fam),  1 FLR 702.
- London Borough of Barnet v The Father & Anor  EWFC B144 (11 July 2014).
- London-Borough of Newham v KA Mother Ors  EWFC B11 (4 March 2016).
- Re SL Permission to Vaccinate  EWHC 125 (Fam) (30 January 2017).
- Re J, G And H (Children: Supervision Orders)  EWHC 884 (Fam) (29 March 2021).
- Re A, B, C, D, E & F (Fabricated and induced illness)  EWFC 63 (24 March 2022).
The Law Society Children Law accreditation and higher rights of audience (civil). Vulnerable witness training accreditation obtained.
- Chair of the Solicitor’s Association of Higher Courts Advocates (SAHCA) 2020 – 2022 and current committee member.
- Association of Lawyers for Children.
- Member of the East London Family Court Local Family Justice Board.
- London Children’s Lawyers Group.
- Lesbian & Gay Lawyers Association.
- Associate member of the National Association of Guardians ad Litem and Reporting Officers (NAGALRO).
- Barnet, East London and Central Family Court User Groups.
“Deborah Piccos is experienced in public children matters involving allegations of abuse. As a Higher Rights Advocate, she undertakes her own advocacy in all levels of courts.”
“She has robust knowledge of the law and gives good, practical advice.”
“Deborah knows what she is talking about, handles clients very well and has the ability to think outside of the box to resolve issues.”
“She is organised and on the ball – you know the case will progress well under her steer.”
Chambers & Partners Directory, 2023
“Deborah has got a very good court presence and delivery.”
“The current team is upholding the legacy of quality at TVE. A firm with a solid reputation and fee-earners who are carrying the brand. Deborah Piccos, Claire Longland and Hannah Perry. All work to a high standard and are excellent in their manner with clients.” “‘They are very experienced in public law children cases and conduct them skilfully, thoughtfully and with imagination.”Legal 500, 2023
“Deborah is a real credit to the profession… she is the paradigm Solicitor-Advocate…”
“She worked incredibly hard … was absolutely tireless in nailing down all the details on a complicated case.”
Every solicitor I have worked with has been excellent. A very high standard of service: prompt, efficient, friendly, excellent and clear legal advice, proactive, and takes a lead with other parties. Hannah Perry and Deborah Piccos are particularly exceptional and go the extra mile”– Legal 500, 2021
“Deborah had been amazing from start to finish. She is very professional, so easy to work with and very understand. Her dedication, hard work and drive makes her a real force to be reckon with! She is a real asset to your organisation and it was an absolute pleasure to have as my representative!“