The Court of Protection / Deputyship Application

If, for example, you care for your adult child or family member, you will likely need access to information regarding their finances or the power to deal with their assets. If the person that you care for lacks capacity as per the Mental Capacity Act 2005, you may want to consider making an application to the Court of Protection to be appointed a deputy.

The Court of Protection has the power to make an order appointing a deputy to deal with the property and financial affairs or health and welfare of a person who lacks capacity. Our Private Client Department are able to advise and assist with making a deputyship application for property and financial affairs to the Court of Protection.

As with any matters that are dealt with by the Courts, there is a very specific process which needs to be followed. Our solicitors will help manage and guide you through the process.

If you have any questions regarding making an application to the Court of Protection please do not hesitate to contact our private client team by emailing or calling us on 020 3440 8000.

Frequently Asked Questions

A Deputyship Order is an order granted by the Court of Protection granting the applicant the authority to deal with the affairs of someone who has lost capacity and can no longer manage their own affairs.

This depends on the individual circumstances of the person who has lost the capacity to manage their own affairs.

A hearing would not normally be required for a Deputyship Order to be granted.

Key Contact
Patrice Lawrence headshot
Patrice was excellent – approachable, professional, friendly and very efficient. She took the time to explain what we didnt understand and was always helpful and polite. She was a pleasure to deal with… I am already using your conveyancing department! Thank you!

Contact Us

Call: 020 3440 8000|View our Whitechapel Office|View our Clapham Junction Office