We have an exciting opportunity for a community care/Court of Protection solicitor to join our growing team.
We are looking for someone with at least one year of post-qualification experience who ideally can represent our clients across a range of community care and Court of Protection work. If you only have experience of community care or Court of Protection work but meet our other requirements below, we would still encourage you to apply.
You will be working with colleagues specialising in housing and public law and who are recommended in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. We are proud that we are able to provide a holistic service to clients.
You will need to share our passion for access to justice and have good knowledge of the legal aid scheme. Experience of privately-funded work would be welcome.
You will be working for clients with a range of needs, some of whom are in very vulnerable situations such as facing eviction or a lack of community care services.
We have good referral sources from local charities and NGOs who work with us to achieve the best outcome for our clients. Currently we are unable to meet demand for our Court of Protection and community care services and you will be given the opportunity to grow and develop this area of work.
We are open to the successful candidate working from our Whitechapel or Clapham Junction offices.
- Carrying out all allotted casework, promptly and efficiently.
- Analysing legal matters and advising clients of appropriate course of action.
- Communicating clearly and regularly with clients and complying with ‘client care’ requirements.
- Dealing with all routine correspondence, negotiations and advocacy, where appropriate.
- Ensuring that time spent on all casework is promptly recorded and on conclusion of cases that they are billed and payment is recorded promptly.
- To ensure, where any part of the work within the department is funded by the Legal Aid Agency that requirements are met.
- Keeping up-to-date with general legal developments, particularly relating to own specialist field(s).
- Undertaking appropriate administrative tasks in accordance with the Office Manual to help to ensure smooth functioning of department and efficient casework and billing.
- Providing supervision where appropriate and/or reporting to supervisors when supervision required.
- At least one year of post-qualification experience of working on a full range of community care and/or Court of Protection law (including challenging assessments and care plans, ensuring that local authorities comply with their safeguarding duties, identifying judicial review challenges and potential Court of Protection cases, acting for “P” via a litigation friend or family members in Court of Protection proceedings in relation to P’s welfare)
- Ability to communicate effectively with the firm’s client group
- Excellent oral and telephone skills
- Ability to prioritise and work efficiently under pressure
- Excellent written communications skills
- Problem-solving ability
- Experience of working to targets
- Excellent IT Skills
- Commitment to our client group in connection with maintaining access to justice
- Current Practising Certificate
- Experience of Legal Aid funding and using CCMS
- Experience of privately-funded work
Equal Opportunities and Diversity
TV Edwards Solicitors LLP is an equal opportunities employer, committed to increasing diversity in our firm and our wider profession.
Salary and Application Submission
Salary – Competitive
Anticipated start date – ASAP
For full job requirements please see the information pack below.
No CVs will be considered without attaching our application form.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.