Jenny joined TV Edwards in 2014 as a consultant, and is now a Partner and housing supervisor in the social welfare department.
She qualified as a solicitor in 2002 and has extensive experience in the housing sector having worked in private practice, local government and the not-for-profit sector.
Noted in Chambers and Partners as “a well-known and well-regarded person in the area,” Jenny is experienced in all areas of housing law including
- Acting in possession claims (for both landlords and tenants) including warrant applications and setting aside possession orders
- Bringing and defending unlawful eviction and re-entry claims
- Representing people facing anti-social behaviour injunctions
- Bringing and defending disrepair claims in connection with poor housing conditions
- Reviews and appeals against local authority homeless decisions
- Judicial review in homeless cases
- Leasehold service charge disputes; and
- Applications under the Landlord and Tenant Acts 1985 and 1987 in connection with service charge disputes and applications for the appointment of a Manager’
In 2017 Jenny obtained Higher Rights of Audience and provides advocacy services to her clients in the county courts. She has also represented clients in housing possession duty schemes at Bow, Clerkenwell and Shoreditch, and Lambeth County Courts.
Jenny is often instructed by the Official Solicitor to act for tenants who lack the mental capacity to instruct Jenny directly in both possession and disrepair cases.
She is able to provide legal services under the Legal Aid scheme, on a privately-paying basis or in some circumstances under a Conditional Fee Agreements (CFA).applications under the Landlord and Tenant Acts 1985 and 1987 in connection with service charge disputes and applications for the appointment of a Manager’
- Jenny successfully acted for a private sector tenant in connection with the Landlord’s failure to register a tenancy deposit. As a result the tenant was able to secure recovery of compensation against the Landlord in the sum of £22,541.20
- Assisted her client in bringing a claim for housing defects against a social landlord seeking to evict upon the basis of rent arrears. The tenant complained of rotten windows and damp at the property. As a result the client was able to retain her tenancy, and have works carried out. The client secured £10,500 by way of compensation.
- Acted under a Conditional Fee Agreement on behalf of a tenant seeking to bring proceedings against her social landlord for housing disrepair. The disrepair included extensive damp in the property and especially in the bathroom. As a result the client obtained an order for works in the County Court and £13,500 by way of compensation.
- Represented a private sector landlord in bringing possession proceedings against a tenant who had not paid rent for under the tenancy for 10 months. Our client’s claim had been defended on the basis of alleged failure to comply with service of gas safety records.
- Acted for a vulnerable client with physical and mental health issues in a case against his social landlord for housing disrepair. The Official Solicitor was instructed as the client lacked litigation capacity. As a result of our claim the tenant was rehoused and obtained £6,500 compensation.
- Jenny successfully acted in a case against a social landlord who had applied for an extension of an anti-social behaviour injunction against her client at a time when she lacked capacity. The Injunction was discharged due to Jenny’s work.
Housing Law Practitioners’ Association (HLPA)
“Jenny brings commitment, reassurance, clarity and peace of mind at times of crisis, fear, uncertainty and stress, … she is approachable and trustworthy, and able to use her initiative, proficiency and expertise in defence of complex cases.”
“Jenny Hunt receives superlative praise for her housing practice. ‘She has a great wealth of experience in housing and litigation, and is tactically very aware,’ said fellow housing lawyers. Her recent matters have included promissory estoppel, adverse possession and substantial rent arrears.”
“A big thank you to Jenny Hunt and team. I’m happy in my new home now. Thank you for all your hard work.”
“I was very impressed with Jenny Hunt’s service“