The Criminal Department of T V Edwards LLP seeks to appoint a paralegal. The position relates to general crime and will encompass some youth work. Appointment is subject to a six-month probation period which may be extended at the discretion of member partners.
Paralegal staff will be based at any one of the firm’s offices; however, the department operates as one. Staff are expected to travel to police stations and courts across London as the need arises. If appointed, you would be based at one of the offices, but you must prepared to be transferred to another office within the firm should the need arise. We aim to take into account the preferences of staff when considering the location of office but we cannot guarantee that you will be placed closest to your home address.
- You will be office based and assist other fee earners in the conduct of casework and investigations.
- You will be required to regularly attend police stations to provide advice and assistance to clients detained by the police.
- You will perform on a rota basis a “duty” lawyer role, which is dealing with enquiries from new or existing clients who contact the firm by telephone or walk in off the street.
- You will act as part of a team with the other paralegals in holding our police station phone out of hours and dispatching runners to attend interviews out of hours.
- You will also be expected to participate in the out-of-hour police station rota to provide advice to clients at night and on weekends. Overtime is paid for attendance outside office hours.
- You will be expected to work within our office systems including making a detailed note of your work and advice given. You will be expected to operate a computerised time recording system.
- Like all legal aid practices, we work to tight profit margins and we expect all members of staff to work efficiently to ensure the continued profitability of the firm.
- Successful completion of Legal Practice Course/Law Degree and providing proof of all qualification’s attained or 3 A ‘levels/Equivalent plus 1 year experience of working within a criminal law practice.
- Police station accredited or 1 year experience of working within a criminal law practice.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both clients and staff at all levels.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise and work efficiently under pressure
- Problem solving ability and ability to achieve results for clients
- Familiarity with Windows and Word.
- We require you to bring to interview documentary proof of your right to work in UK.
Equal Opportunities and Diversity
TV Edwards Solicitors LLP is an equal opportunities employer, committed to increasing diversity in our firm and our wider profession.
Salary and Application Submission
Salary: competitive depending on experience and fee-earning track record
Anticipated start: as soon as possible